Wednesday, September 29, 2010

There's no such thing as a free lunch...

But there is such thing as getting food for practically free at the grocery store!! This week I got a membership with Coupon Sense which is a company that tracks coupons online, from the newspaper, and some magazines and tracks all the sales at local stores so that you know exactly when you can use different coupons and maximize your savings. Some of my sisters have been doing this for years and I'm amazed at how much they save. So I am giving it a try. On Monday I noticed my first freebie that I could get. So for home evening Robert and I went to Smith's and got these 2 cans of soup.

Campbell's Select Harvest Soups usually sell at Smith's for $2.99 each. Coupon Sense made me aware that this week they were on sale for $1.00 each, and they also made me aware that there was a coupon that I could print off of Campbell's website for a $1.00 off of 1 can of Select Harvest Soup. You can print off the coupon a max of 2 times. So we did, and we each went and got to pick which soup we wanted and all we had to pay was the sales tax which was $.03 per can. Don't let the big TODAY YOU SAVED number fool you. It only includes how much we saved on the sale with our Fresh Values card, not also how much we saved with the coupon.
See! 100% savings baby!!! A total of $.06 for $6.00 worth of soup!
I'm still a little skeptical on how much this will save our family in the long run. I don't doubt it saves a TON when you are shopping for a family of 5 or more, but when you are only shopping for 2 adults and a baby I don't see us saving much. Also, with the way I cook I use more perishable items than non-perishable so it's not like I can buy a ton of lettuce in advance or whatever, because it would go bad before I use it all. Plus, it's a lot of work to very first get into the swing of things but I'm told it's super easy once you get the hang of it. I am going to do it all out for the next 2 months and see if the work is worth it. I'm also going to try to learn more recipes that use the same ingredients so that I can buy more in bulk. I'll keep you all updated on my progress.

And with that I am completely caught up with everything I've wanted to blog about in the past 2 months. 12 posts in 24 hours has to be some sort of record. I hope you enjoyed the ride :)

1 comment:

  1. Oooh I've been wanting to start with a coupon service, but I don't think I could keep up with it with work. One reason I'm excited to be a baby momma and not a sugar momma - I can save money! Which will be necessary, since I won't be making much at that point.
    And my point of posting a comment was to say that, even if you don't use a lot of the non-perishables right now, it's great to stock up on things and work on your food storage. The people I know that have a great supply get half their stuff from grocery store sales.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...