Thursday night September 15th, 8 days after we had just finished the big move drive, I turned to Robert and said, "Robert, I want to go to my family reunion this weekend." As if our lives hadn't been crazy enough, right?? After a couple minutes of discussion and clarifying that I was being serious, Robert said we could go and 12 hours later we started the 12 hour drive to Mesa, AZ.
A few hours into the drive, Robert woke me up and said, "Heidi, it feels like the car is throwing up!" Confused and still half asleep, I said, "What do you mean 'throwing up?'" Robert clarified, "Like it's heaving." I asked, "How much gas do we have?" Right after I asked, the engine choked and we coasted to a stop, completely out of gas, surrounded by nothing but peach farms.
Lydia and Alena were so excited to see and play with each other. You'd think it had been ages since they saw each other instead of just over a week and a half
Aubrie and Cami loving Mary while Sasha loves Bryson.
It's no secret that Lydia loves being the center of attention. During the Sunday program she kept going up to the stage and trying to lead a song or say a prayer. It was too cute if I say so myself.
Me snuggling my baby. She's too precious!
A few hours into the drive, Robert woke me up and said, "Heidi, it feels like the car is throwing up!" Confused and still half asleep, I said, "What do you mean 'throwing up?'" Robert clarified, "Like it's heaving." I asked, "How much gas do we have?" Right after I asked, the engine choked and we coasted to a stop, completely out of gas, surrounded by nothing but peach farms.
Robert started to walk to the closest gas station, but when he got enough service on his phone to look up how far away the closest gas station was he called and said the closest one was 1 and 1/2 hours walking distance away. I said, "Well, I saw someone drive by on a tractor on that peach farm right there. Maybe they'll help." So Robert hopped the fence and found a worker that knew at least a handful of words of English. They ended up letting us use some gas from their motorcycle, gave us a fresh bag of peaches off the farm, and we were on our way. The whole adventure took just over an hour. I'm glad we weren't stranded for too long. Now, it's a funny memory to look back on instead of a horrible experience :)
Finally, we got to my parents' house that evening. We only told 2 of my sisters we were coming, so it was a complete surprise to everyone else. Here's my dad holding Mary for the first time, and baby Bryson. His 25th and 23rd grandchildren.
Lydia and Alena were so excited to see and play with each other. You'd think it had been ages since they saw each other instead of just over a week and a half
After a fun night of surprising both of our families, the next day we headed up to Camp LoMia for the Hall Reunion. It was a fabulous time, as always. Aunt Pam and family did a wonderful job in charge this year. Here's the mommies and 3 new Wilcken grandbabies - Katie with Bryson, Becky with Annie, and me with Mary. They were all born within 3 weeks and 2 days of each other.
Aubrie and Cami loving Mary while Sasha loves Bryson.
It's no secret that Lydia loves being the center of attention. During the Sunday program she kept going up to the stage and trying to lead a song or say a prayer. It was too cute if I say so myself.
Me snuggling my baby. She's too precious!
We got a couple more days of visiting in, then headed back to Santa Cruz before Robert started school. It was a whirlwind of a trip, but totally worth it! If for nothing else, my parents got to meet Mary while she was still in her newborn stage. I love my family!!




Oh my word....I didn't hear about you running out of gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad you were able to get help quickly! Miss you and love you like crazy!
ReplyDelete