Thursday, August 12, 2010

Pyelonephr-- What???

This story begins last Tuesday, August 3rd. I all of the sudden had this sharp pain in my mid-back on my left side. I kept telling Robert that it didn't feel like any pain I had felt before. It didn't feel like a pinched nerve, like my back was out, or a sore muscle - it felt like something was there that wasn't supposed to be and was getting in the way of my ribs. Tuesday night I woke up in the middle of the night from it hurting so bad and I had the chills. I took my temperature and I had a fever of 99.7. With the fever and the nausea that set in I decided I had the flu and the pain in my back was just part of the muscle aches that normally come with it. Unfortunately, even with plenty of rest and ibuprofen and Tylenol my fever and nausea got progressively worse. I was eating maybe 2 pieces of toast a day. Friday the nausea got to the point that I couldn't even keep water down. Friday night after my fever got to 105`, I was on the brink of passing out from having no food or water, and after quite a bit of urging from my husband, I made my first ever journey to the Emergency Room.

Our friend, Trent DeVore, met us there to take Lydia, and later my sister Katie came down from Salt Lake, picked Lydia up from the DeVores, and kept her for the night. After a few hours of waiting they finally got us into a room. They hadn't really given us any guesses of what it might be, except that they kept asking us one question over and over... "Is there any chance that you could be pregnant?" The only answer I could really give was that there are several reasons why I shouldn't be pregnant, but I'm not on the pill so there's always a chance. We really were asked almost 10 times by several different nurses and the doctor. It got to the point that Robert and I were preparing ourselves for the news, and discussing what changes we would have to make and contemplated what our lives would be like having 2 kids under the age of 1. Finally the doctor came in to examine me and when I pointed to where the pain was, he said that that was right where my kidney is. I got a CT scan to confirm and was diagnosed with pyelonephritis, otherwise known as a kidney infection. No pregnancy (sigh of relief). They pumped me full of antibiotics along with 2 liters of liquid since I was so dehydrated and sent me on my way with a few prescriptions. After a couple of days of treating the right sickness, I felt almost completely back to normal. It's amazing how that works.

So that was my adventure, and I have a few shout outs that I want to give after going through this ordeal:
Devin Curry!!! - Devin came over at the start of the sickness and assisted Robert in giving me a Priesthood blessing. I am always so thankful for the power of the Priesthood in my life, and all of the men I know that live worthy to hold it.
The DeVores!!! - Thank you so much for meeting us at the hospital and tending Lydia while my sister drove from SLC. It was such a relief to know that we had left Lydia in good hands. You guys are amazing!!!
The McAllisters!!! - Mike and Katie + 1 :), it's so wonderful to have family close by that we can turn to in a jam, and you guys are always so willing.
MY WONDERFUL HUSBAND!!!! - He really went above and beyond the whole time I was sick. He was taking care of Lydia, and me, and trying to get all of his hours for work in. Sometimes he had to stay up for a couple hours after Lydia and I had gone to bed so that he could finish his work. The only thing he would complain about was that he felt bad that he couldn't focus more on me since he was taking care of the baby. He constantly amazes me! I am so lucky to have him. I love him SOOOOOO much!!

That's it for now. Peace out!

6 comments:

  1. That sounds really scary! I'm glad you're okay and you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Sorry to hear, but glad your doing much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you need to update your blog missy. Its been FAAAAR too long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! I'm about to post a plethora of catch up posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummmm, so I never heard anything about this. Crap! I am so sorry you had to go through that, but glad all was well. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...