Every February, Robert and I have Love Week. Our anniversary is exactly 1 week after Valentine's Day, so we celebrate us all week long :) However, this year they both fall on Thursdays which is the one day a week Robert is gone almost all day. So the actual days there's not a whole lot going on in the way of cutesy, lovey dovey stuff. Fear not! There will be plenty of that to summarize in a future blog post to come. In the meantime, here is a lovely highlight from my day of Valentine.
It was just after Robert had gone to school. I got the girls distracted with the TV turned on to their favorite Dora episode as well as coloring books and crayons and toys of all sorts, and went to shower. There had been too many "ponytail today, wash hair tomorrow" days in a row. My hair needed to be washed without further delay, and I've mastered the art of a 5 minute shower for times such as these.
So with the girls distracted, up the stairs I went to complete the task. Two minutes later, just as my hair was getting extra bubbly with shampoo, I hear through the bathroom window Lydia yelling from outside, "Come on Mary! Let's go get the mail!"
It was as if the gunshot sounded to start a sprint race. I burst out of the bathroom to the top of the stairs. Sure enough, the front door (which I might add has a baby proofing knob on it) was wide open. I barrel down the stairs, frantically pulling clothes on as I go, and out the front door to see both my girls in the middle of our parking lot, halfway to the mailboxes, in nothing but their diapers (they were fully clothed when I left them). I ran to them (which is strictly a no no for my recovery, I spent the rest of the day on the couch) and as I was bringing them back I was drilling Lydia on why she should never open the door without Mommy or Daddy there. Her or Mary could get a big ouchy from cars coming in the parking lot. I even went the semi-traumatic route and said a stranger could have taken her away and she'd never see Mommy and Daddy ever again. Is that what she wanted? To be lost forever? To which she responded...
"Mommy, you have bubbles in your hair."
As the shampoo dripped into my eyes I said, "Yes, yes I do."
It'll be a couple years before I leave the girls unattended or look any of my neighbors in the eye that might have witnessed the whole ordeal again.
Happy Valentine's Day!
Hahaha! Oh the joys of mommying! Thanks for sharing this was a fun read. Hope the rest of your Love Week is awesome!
ReplyDeleteI bet you are pretty thankful for that bathroom window. Yikes!
ReplyDeleteThat Lydia, she knows how to veer the conversation well.
ReplyDeleteI haven't showered when Trent isn't home since Logan escaped out my parents front door when I was asleep and wondered the neighborhood until a neighbor brought him back. It's scared the crap out of me. That or the time he escaped out of the window of the babysitters house and we had no idea where he was or how long he'd been gone. Wow, I'm getting freaked all over again! I'm so glad you heard the girls and they are alright. Little stinker kids put their mommas through quite the ringer ;)
ReplyDeleteThese are awesome.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.walmart.com/ip/PrimeLine-Flip-Over-Door-Lock/22861182
Matt & I have been wanting to get a deadbolt and put it way high on the door! Ada can unlock both locks and when I was in the shower the other day I heard her say, "Lola, you wanna go outside and play on the grass?" I was like, "Nooooooo!!!!!" I can't believe you ran out like that!! haha Has anyone said if they saw?
ReplyDelete