That's right! Don't you feel lucky? Today you get three thankful Thursday thoughts in honor of the month of Thanksgiving. Today I am thankful for my sweet, generous, and beautiful mother-in-law, Cathy. This is long overdue and last week was her birthday so I figure now is as good a time as any. She is wonderful. Between my married friends and my siblings I have witnessed a fair share of, let's say, interesting mothers-in-law. I lucked out. Cathy is wonderful. She would give a stranger on the street the shirt off of her back if you'd let her. Since even before Robert and I were dating officially, she treated me as if I was one of her own daughters. She has never been anything but loving, understanding, and generous to me. I couldn't have asked for a better mother-in-law. I love her! A few examples of her greatness lead me to the 2 other things I'm thankful for. First--

My washer and dryer!!! The first few days that we had Lydia at home after she was born Cathy came and stayed with us to help me out with the transition. We had moved into our apartment only 2 weeks before. Our new apartment had washer/dryer hookups, but we didn't have a washer or dryer yet. We figured we would get them eventually when we had a little more money and found a good deal on Craigslist or something. The day before Cathy was leaving, Robert was at school and Cathy said, "What do you think about me getting you guys a washer and dryer before I leave?" I said, "That would be too generous of you, but I know you better than to think I could talk you out of it. I'll text Robert and see if he has anything to say about it." Robert immediately called and talked to her. Sure enough, she had decided she was getting us a washer and dryer and there was no talking her out of it. The way she put it was that SHE wouldn't feel at ease going home until she took care of this for us. So Robert and Mom went to a secondhand appliance store and got a great deal on our washer and dryer. It's been a MAJOR blessing in our home. Every load of laundry I do I think of how much easier it is to be able to do laundry right in our apartment, and how much harder it would have been to do laundry in the complex laundromat with Lydia around. I'm SOOOOOOOOO thankful for our washer and dryer!!!
Second--

I am thankful for the wonderful mother and example she was to this boy. (This is Robert's seventh grade picture. There's no particular reason why I chose this one other than that it's one of my all time favorite pictures of Robert :) Just look at that cheeky grin!) I could go on and on about this. I will say that I think that all of the sweetness, love, and generosity Robert shows to me as my best friend and husband and now as Lydia's daddy, he learned from his mom. I'm sure he learned some of it from his dad too, but we're focusing on Mom today ;) Words cannot express my gratitude for the examples Robert has had in his life.
And there you have it. I'm thankful for my washer and dryer, the example Robert had/has in his mom, and I am thankful for Cathy, my second Mom.

We love you Mom!!!
What a great post. I'm happy for you :)
ReplyDelete